Fly Niki 2010

Ferrari 1976

Formula1

1971 Starts career as Formula 1 racing driver

1974-77 Drives for Ferrari

1975 Wins Formula 1 title with Ferrari

1976 Accident at the Nürburgring, runnunig back in just 30 days later

1977 Wins title with Ferrari for the second time

1979 Always fascinated by aviation, Niki founds LaudaAir & retires from F1

1982 Returns to Formula 1 with McLaren

1984 Wins third Formula 1 title, this time with McLaren

1985 Calls time on driving career and turns his attention to aviation

1992-1997 Consultant at Ferrari

Lauda Air

1979 Foundation of Lauda Air with two Fokker 27s

1987 Do&Co becomes catering provider for Lauda Air

1988 BClearance to start scheduled flights to the Far East with the first Boeing 767-300 ER in the Lauda Air fleet

1997 Strategic cooperation between Austrian Airlines, Lauda Air and Lufthansa

2000 Niki Lauda sells his interest in Lauda Air to Austrian Airlines and steps down as CEO

Fly Niki

NIKI Luftfahrt GmbH was formed as the successor to Aero Lloyd Austria GmbH in which Niki Lauda acquired a majority interest in November 2003 following the bankruptcy of its parent company Aero Lloyd. The company's mission was to establish a low-cost carrier alongside its charter operations.

2004 Niki Lauda joined forces with a major partner, Air Berlin - the second largest German airline and an operator with a proven track record in the low-cost segment.

2010 NIKI & Air Berlin: a strong partnership

NIKI strengthens ties with Air Berlin, which increases its interest in Niki Lauda's Austrian carrier from 24% to 49.9%. The remaining 50.1 percent continues to be held by NL Holding, ensuring that majority control remains with Niki Lauda.

NIKI operates about 640 flights per week with its fleet of 17 aircraft (status: summer 2010). These new services have created around 250 new jobs at the airline, increasing the headcount by around half, to 650.